To follow up with yesterday’s post about planning the perfect Kentucky Derby party, I decided that I should probably pass along the official recipe for the Derby drink of choice – Mint Juleps. According to the Kentucky Derby website, Early Times Mint Julep Ready-to-Serve Cocktail has been the official drink of the Kentucky Derby for nearly 20 years.
However, if you prefer to make your cocktails from scratch (and I know you do!) here is the official Mint Julep recipe for the Kentucky Derby!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- Sprigs of fresh mint
- Crushed ice
- Early Times Kentucky Whisky
- Silver Julep Cups
- Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes.
- Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight.
- Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of Early Times Kentucky Whisky.
- Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.