I don’t know what the weather’s doing where you are, but here in Rhode Island it’s just about summer! As I write this I’ve got the air conditioner running. Although, it isn’t because it’s particularly hot… it’s because it’s doing that awesome Southern New England thing where it’s just insanely humid for no good reason – but I digress.
Kick summer off right with the Blueberry Mojito! (Presuming you’ve already got your hands on a Narraganset Del’s Shandy.) Blueberries are seriously one of my favorite treats (I buy huge bags of them and eat them frozen as snacks!), and what’s better than mixing them with a bit of fresh mint, a splash of booze, and some other refreshing tidbits to make a delicious, light, summery cocktail. Nothing, I say – nothing.
- 8 blueberries (fresh or frozen & thawed) plus a few for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- 6-8 fresh mint leaves, plus a few for garnishing
- ¼ cup white rum (or substitute sparkling lemonade for virgin drinks)
- 2 tablespoons club soda
- 1 lime slice for the glass rim
- In a cocktail shaker, add lime juice, sugar, mint leaves and blueberries. Use a cocktail muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon to mash-up or muddle the mint into the sugar and lime juice.
- Add rum or sparkling lemonade, stir well and pour over ice, leaving about 1” of space.
- Top with club soda and garnish with blueberries, mint leaves and a lime slice.